Dream debut for Bala

Y Bala’n dathlu sgorio yn erbyn Levadia (llun Gareth hughes)


Tuesday, 2 Jul 2013, 20:16

Bala Town 1-0 Levadia Tallinn

Bala Town secured a dream start to their European campaign as Ian Sheridan scored the only goal of the game in the first leg of their Europa League tie against Levadia Tallinn.

The Estonian side may well be top of the Meistriliga having already played 16 matches of their current season, but it was Colin Caton’s side who started the brightest at Rhyl’s Belle Vue ground.

With just four minutes on the clock, Kenny Lunt’s corner created all manner of problems for the visitors and Sheridan was the first to pounce on the loose ball placing the ball past a helpless Roman Smiško to put the Lakesiders ahead.

But it wasn’t long before Bala Town keeper, Ashley Morris, was called into action, saving well from Estonian international Ilja Antonov and Andreas Raudsepp.

In a very open and frenetic second half both sides had chances to score with former Welsh international and Wrexham favourite, Mark Jones, forcing Smiško to save well before Sheridan also tested the keeper with a rasping effort.

Artjom Artjunin tickled the post with a well struck free kick after 79 minutes as the visitors threatened in the closing stages.

But as well as defending solidly, the Lakesiders were quick to break with Sheridan and Codling proving to be handful for Levadia’s defence.

And with nine minutes remaining Sheridan could have doubled Bala’s lead as he found himself clear on goal but Smiško managed to get his fingertips to the striker’s cheeky lob.

Bala Town: 1. Morris, 3. Collins, 4. S. Jones, 5. Valentine, 7. Connolly (11. Edwards 81′), 20. Lunt, 6. Murtagh, 8. M. Jones, 17.Brown, 10. Sheridan (19. Lewis 90′), 16. Davies (18. Codling 46′)

Unused subs: 23. Boswell, 14. Renaud, 22. R. Jones, 30. Pierce

Yellow card: Davies 16′

Goal: Sheridan 4′

Levadia: 1. Smiško, 3. Artjunin, 17. Podholjuzin, 19. Kulinitš, 21. Jahhimovitš, 22. Pikk, 27. Raudsepp, 10. Subbotin, 6. Antonov, 28. Hunt (11. Teever 83′), 23.
Kaljumäe (9. Rättel 46′)

Unused subs: 30. Pikker, 2. Ingermann, 20. Pebre

Referee: Vasilis Dimitriou (Cyprus)

Attendance: 1,287