9 November

On this day in 1996 Wales suffered their heaviest post-war defeat as they were thrashed 7-1 by the Netherlands.

Wales had travelled to Eindhoven as leaders of World Cup qualifying group 7 after two big wins over group minnows, San Marino.

However the Netherlands put an end to Wales’ confident start in the group with a 1-3 win in Cardiff Arms Park in October 1996.

Dean Saunders had put the home side ahead after just 17 minutes, but three goals in seven second half minutes ensured a Dutch win as Pierre van Hooijdonk netted twice before Ronald de Boer added a third.

But this defeat had in no way prepared the Welsh side for what happened at the Philips Stadion, home of PSV Eindhoven five weeks later.

Manager, Bobby Gould, made four changes to the side which was defeated in Cardiff but the biggest surprise of all was the naming of Vinnie Jones as captain.

Jones, who hadn’t even been in the squad for the home match, and winning just his sixth cap, was given the armband in what turned out to be a truly awful night for Welsh football.

It took 20 minutes for the Oranje to breach the Welsh defence, Dennis Bergkamp putting the home side ahead, but once the floodgates were opened it didn’t take long for Ronald de Boer to add a second and less than 60 seconds later, Wim Jonk made it 3-0.

Saunders gave the dejected Welsh fans something to cheer with what was already a consolation goal after 38 minutes, but all that did was spur the home side as Frank de Boer followed his brother onto the scoresheet before half time.

The fact that Welsh goalkeeper, Neville Southall, was named by many as their man of the match speaks volumes about how completely in control the Dutch side were.

Philip Cocu added a fifth goal on the hour mark before Bergkamp completed his hat-trick with two goals in the last twenty minutes.

Wales v. Netherlands: Neville Southall; Alan Neilson, Mark Pembridge, Andy Melville, Kit Symons; Vinnie Jones, Mark Bowen, Jason Bowen (John Robinson 56′), Gary Speed; Dean Saunders, John Hartson (Gareth Taylor 66′).