So pretty and cute... these are the perfect cupcakes, but will Ows and Leah's cakes be magnificent or messy?
Ingredients (cake batter):
125g self-raising flour
125g caster sugar
1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
125g soft, salt-free butter (very soft!)
2 large eggs
1 1/2 tablespoons of milk
1/4 teaspoon vanilla essence
1. Preheat the oven to 170 ° C and line a cupcake / muffin tray with 12 cupcake cases
2. In a sieve over the mixing bowl - add the flour, fine sugar and bicarbonate of soda and separate.
3. Add 125g of butter.
4. Add 2 large eggs.
5. Start the mixer on low speed until everything is blended and then increase the speed for 1 minute.
6. Turn the blender back to low speed and add the milk and vanilla.
7. Turn the mixer back on at medium - high speed (for about 30 seconds).
8. Stop the mixer, remove the paddle and remove as much batter as you can. Scrape the sides with a spatula and mix the batter for the last time with the spatula to make sure all the ingredients have come together.
9. Using a dessert spoon and a teaspoon, place the batter in the small cake cases one at a time
10. Bake for 22 minutes in the oven. Check with a skewer - it should come out clean.
11. Leave the tray for 5-10 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack.
Using the blender and paddle attachment, beat the butter at medium speed until creamy (about 2 minutes).
Add 4 cups of icing sugar, cream, and vanilla. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds, then rise to medium-high speed and beat for 2 minutes. Add more icing sugar if the icing is too thin or another tablespoon of cream if the mixture is too thick.
Use immediately to decorate the cakes.