We want to be very transparent about our use of your information so that you understand how and why we collect and use it and so that you know that you can always trust us with it.
Remember sharing your data with us means you and S4C will develop a closer relationship. S4C will be able to deliver a much better, more personalised service to you designed to cater to your specific needs.
We'll be able to make more of the programmes we know you like to watch, tell you about them directly and easily, assess how we are doing and work to improve our services.
S4C’s privacy principles:
If you don't have time to read the rest of this policy, S4C's 5 "Privacy Principles" are a shortcut explanation of S4C's approach to the collection and use of your information.
- S4C will only ask for information about you so that we can use that information to improve the services we deliver to you, make those services more bespoke and improve the ways you access them;
- Giving your personal information to S4C doesn't mean you lose control of it. We will tell you what information we hold about you if you ask us for it. We will also tell you how you can ask us to remove, update or correct any of your data;
- S4C will look after your information and store it securely.
Read on for more detailed information.
Please note that this policy does not apply to companies, services or applications that we do not own or control, or people that we do not employ or manage, including (without limitation) third party websites to which S4C might provide links or on which S4C content is embedded, such as social media sites. These services, applications and third parties may have their own privacy policies and/or terms and conditions of use, which we recommend you read before using any such services.
The Data Protection Act 1998 and the Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations 2003 and 2011 are the principle laws in place in the UK to ensure that your personal information and privacy are protected.
If you'd like to know more about Data Protection generally go to the Information Commissioner's website at www.ico.org.uk.
What information might S4C collect about me and how?
A. Information S4C collects from you directly:
When you interact with S4C in the different ways described below, we may ask you for the following information:
- personal and contact details (for example your name, email address, date of birth, gender and your choice of language with which you wish to interact with us.).
- personal and contact details that you give us when you sign up to any S4C product or service. For example we may ask for your details when you download an S4C app;
- personal and contact details you give us when subscribing to receive emails, newsletters or marketing information from us;
- information you tell us about yourself (e.g. your personal interests) when you answer a survey or questionnaire;
- personal and contact details you give us when you enter an S4C competition;
- information we collect via cookies or similar technology stored on your device about how you use S4C digital products or services. (Find out more about cookies and how S4C uses them in our cookies guidelines)
- your IP address;
- information from S4C's web servers about online activity;
- information from social media activity (including likes, shares and tweets) when you interact with us on social media;
- additional voluntary information which we may ask from you to better understand you and your interests.
B. Information S4C might receive from others
- S4C may sometimes receive information about you from 3rd party organisations. We will only accept and use information about you from reputable organisations who have either obtained your permission to share your information with us or who have collated information about you from publicly available sources. Occasionally S4C might receive information about you from a trusted S4C partner organisation who will have sought your prior consent to share it with us.
How will S4C use my information?
We want you to know what to expect when you give your information to S4C so here's how we might use it:-
- to get in touch with you if you win a competition;
- to tell you about S4C events that are going on in your area that might be of interest to you;
- to make your interaction with S4C more personal. By gathering information about you we can make viewing recommendations and/or tell you about S4C products, services or events which might interest you;
- to help S4C monitor and analyse our services and how they are used; to note what you liked and what you liked less; to see what was shared on social networks; to monitor and record our successes and help us fix any errors;
- to look at what programmes we should be commissioning in future to ensure we are best serving your needs;
- where you have agreed to receive marketing from us - to market our services to you or invite you to take part in surveys or research
- to sell advertising in order to boost our funding;
- we may combine information that you provide to us with information collected from other services (such as social media) and/or with information that is publicly available or that we receive from other reputable sources; and
Most S4C websites do work without cookies, but you will lose some features and functionality if you choose to disable your cookies. For example, you will not be able to set the weather to your chosen city.
If you are under the age of 16 please get your parents/guardians permission beforehand whenever you provide personal information to S4C.
Control of and access to your information
To find out what information S4C holds about you then contact the S4C Data Protection Officer, S4C, Parc Ty Glas, Llanishen, Cardiff, CF14 5DU.
We will need to see proof of your identity before we provide you with information and may charge an administration fee of £10.
You can ask us to remove your information from S4C's systems by contacting the S4C Data Protection Officer, S4C, Parc Ty Glas, Llanishen, Cardiff, CF14 5DU. S4C will then remove or anonymise your data as appropriate.
You can update the information we hold about you by contacting S4C at the above address or by visiting the "edit my Details" page of the website page if available.
How long will S4C keep information about me?
We will keep your information for as long as it is useful for the purpose it was originally collected and lawful for us to keep it.
Will S4C share my information with other people?
S4C will not sell your information.
S4C sometimes uses other organisations to help us deliver our services. S4C engage with other companies to provide services on our behalf. We provide these companies with only the information that they need to be able to perform their services.
S4C will not share your information with anyone else (apart from those we have engaged with as above) without first asking your permission, unless required or permitted by law.
Freedom of information and your information
S4C is subject to the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (FOIA). This means that any information we hold, which could include any information you have provided to us, may potentially be disclosable if a FOI request is made.
There are no guarantees about the security of information sent via the Internet but S4C uses industry standard measures to protect the security of your information.
Changes to this policy
Any changes we make to this policy will be posted on this webpage and, where practicable, you will be notified by email.
Contact us about privacy
Data Protection Officer, S4C, Parc Ty Glas, Llanishen, Cardiff, CF14 5DU