About this site
This legal notice relates to how you use the S4C Website. Please read these terms, in addition to S4C's Privacy and Cookies Policies, carefully before using the S4C Website.
Your access to the S4C Website is subject to the following legal terms. By continuing to use the S4C Website you agree to be bound by such terms in force at the time of access. If you do not agree with any of S4C's terms then you should not access and/or use the S4C Website. The S4C Privacy and Cookies Policies form part of these terms and outline how S4C uses the information it receives about you.
S4C may periodically update and revise these terms and the current version of these terms will be posted on the S4C Website. Use of the S4C Website following any revision of the terms will constitute your acceptance of the revised terms.
Permitted Uses of the S4C Website
- You may use the S4C Website for personal and non-commercial use only.
- The non-commercial educational use of the S4C Website by educational establishments is permitted provided that the educational establishment holds a current licence with the Educational Recording Agency (ERA). Use of the S4C Website by the educational establishment must comply with these terms and the terms of the ERA licence.
- Those who access and use the S4C Website must be at least 16 years old, unless paragraphs 4 to 7 are observed.
- If a person under the age of 16 years ("child") wishes to use the S4C Website the child's parent or guardian must:
- give their consent prior to the child using the S4C Website;
- read these terms and ensure that they understand and agree to these terms;
- agree to these terms on behalf of the child prior to the child using the S4C Website; and
- give permission beforehand for a child to submit personal information to the S4C Website.
- When giving permission on behalf of a child to use the S4C Website, you confirm that you are authorised to agree to these terms and any other terms that apply to the use by the child of the S4C Website.
- The S4C Website may contain content you consider to be unsuitable for young audiences. Warnings do appear at the beginning of some Programmes available to view on the S4C Catch Up service "Clic", indicating that there is content within the Programme which is unsuitable for children. Where such a warning appears, there is also the option to activate a parent lock. Please be aware that it is possible to watch the S4C television channel via a live stream on the S4C Website and there are no parent lock facilities available in connection with this service, however it reflects watershed scheduling conventions.
- You accept that you are solely responsible for deciding whether or not content on the S4C Website is suitable for your children to access. Should you permit a child to access content on the S4C Website, you are solely responsible for deciding whether or not that content is appropriate for that child.
Third Party Websites
- S4C's Website may include pages/content that is hosted, managed and/or operated by third parties. The S4C Website may also contain links to other third party websites, platforms and services and in certain circumstances S4C content may also be available on third party services and platforms.
- Access and use of third party services and content is at your own risk.
- S4C does not endorse, review or monitor the content of all off-site pages or sites linked to the S4C Website and assumes no liability for and shall have no responsibility for any of the content thereof (including, without limitation, any sale or transaction undertaken on such off-site pages).
- Third party websites may have their own privacy policies and/or terms and conditions of use and use of such third party websites and services will be governed by their terms and conditions and privacy policies. Please review the relevant third party terms and conditions and privacy policies.
- Should you make a contribution to the S4C Website, you will retain all ownership rights in any contribution you make and the copyright in your contribution will remain with you.
- In consideration of S4C granting you the right to contribute and/or publish material on or via the S4C Website, you grant to S4C a non-exclusive, royalty free, licence of all relevant rights to use any of the material in your contribution in any way that S4C may reasonably choose, in S4C's absolute discretion, free of charge, in any media throughout the world in perpetuity (lasts forever). S4C reserves the right to transfer or sub-licence this licence to any third party. You agree to waive your 'moral rights' in your contribution including your right to be identified as the author or director of the contribution and the right to object to derogatory treatment of the contribution.
- In respect of all contributions you make to the S4C Website, you confirm the following:
- the contribution (and every element within it, including any words and/or music) is your original work and that you are the owner of it and/or that you have all necessary licences, rights, consents, and permissions to authorise S4C to use your contribution in accordance with paragraph 13 above and you will provide S4C with evidence of all relevant rights, licences, consents and permissions you hold in the contribution if requested;
- that your contribution does not infringe any copyright owned by anyone else, that the contribution is not libellous, offensive or blasphemous, does not infringe upon any laws of the United Kingdom, is made in your personal rather than commercial capacity and does not promote any business;
- you have the permission of all individuals appearing in or referred to within the contribution for S4C to use the contribution in accordance with paragraph 13 above (or where relevant, the permission of the parents or guardians of such individuals under 16 years old appearing in the contribution);
- you recognise that if you grant any rights in the contribution to others, the rights granted must be subject to the rights granted to S4C;
- you will not take any unnecessary risks or endanger yourself or others when creating a contribution;
- you agree S4C may review, edit and/or remove your contribution from the S4C Website;
- you accept that you are responsible for your contribution and any consequences arising from the use of your contribution by S4C and/or its licensees and/or assignees; and
- you agree to compensate S4C and/or its licensees and/or assignees in respect of any damages or losses suffered by S4C and/or its licensees and/or assignees as a result of your contribution.
- Please note that you require a TV Licence in order to watch a television programme which is broadcast online at the same time as it is being broadcast on conventional television in the United Kingdom. For more information, please contact TV Licensing.
- If you have a current TV Licence you do not need a separate licence to watch television programmes online via the S4C Website.
- All rights (including copyright, trade marks, design rights, database rights and other intellectual property rights) in the S4C Website are the property of or licensed to S4C at all times. All material contained on the S4C Website including text, images, graphics, trademarks, logos, service marks and personal likenesses is proprietary or copyright material. Unless otherwise specified, material on the S4C Website may not be copied, reproduced, downloaded, posted, transmitted, distributed, modified or stored in any medium (including on any other website) or interfered with in any way. Nothing in these terms gives you a right to use any copyright, trademark or design right, database rights or any other intellectual property right owned or controlled by S4C or any third party, save as permitted under these terms.
Maintenance of the S4C Website
- S4C accepts no obligation to maintain or update the S4C Website and does not represent or warrant that the information accessible within the S4C Website is accurate, complete, or up to date. S4C may monitor and review the discussion, chat, postings, transmissions and other dialogue on the S4C Website from time to time. S4C, however, is not capable of monitoring all such material continuously and the S4C Website and its contents are provided on an "AS IS" basis.
Reliance on the S4C Website.
- Commentary, opinions or other information included on the S4C Website is not intended to amount to advice upon which you should rely. You agree not to act or rely upon any information or material contained on the S4C Website. Such information is provided by S4C (and/or third parties) for your general interest and entertainment only. S4C shall not have and hereby expressly disclaims so far as may be permitted by law all liability arising from your reliance upon such information of any nature.
Technical Matters and Accessibility
- Accessing and using some of the content on the S4C Website may lead to substantial bandwidth usage, which can be expensive depending on your agreement with your internet or data service provider. Please ensure that you monitor and manage any 'bandwidth cap' on your account with your internet or data service provider, including any data limits set on your account by your mobile phone provider.
- In order to comply with broadcast and content licences, please be aware that S4C uses geoblocking measures in respect of some of its content. Such measures prevent access to S4C content from outside of the United Kingdom. You agree that you will not attempt to circumvent any geoblocking measures utilised by S4C in order to access content that would 0therwise be unavailable to you in your location.
- Content available via the S4C Website is streamed and is not available to download. S4C may use security measures to protect content on the S4C Website and you agree that you will not attempt to circumvent or interfere with S4C's security measures under any circumstances.
- S4C seeks to make its services as widely available as possible, however it should be noted that some features and functionality may not work on all devices. S4C is committed to making the S4C Website accessible by as many people as possible. Please see S4C's Accessibility Policy for more information in this regard.
- S4C retains the right to modify, suspend or discontinue all or any part of the S4C Website or the content available on the S4C Website at any time in its absolute discretion. S4C also reserves the right to restrict your access to the S4C Website (in whole or part) at any time at S4C's sole and absolute discretion if you do not comply with these terms. S4C may take legal action against you if you breach these terms for use of the S4C Website.
- Please note, when viewing the S4C television channel live via the S4C Website, there may be an element of time delay due to the inherent nature of the delivery of television over the internet. Please bear this in mind when interacting with programmes viewed live via the S4C Website.
S4C Catch Up Service
- Programmes shown on the S4C catch up services are not live. You should not respond to calls to action such as quizzes, competitions or votes when watching programmes via the S4C catch up services. If you do try to participate, your interaction may not be counted but you may still be charged by your communications provider.
- S4C’s video on demand services are regulated by the S4C Authority in relation to editorial content, and the Advertising Standards Agency (ASA) in relation to advertising content. Contact details for the S4C Authority are available at http://www.s4c.co.uk/e_contact.shtml. You can contact the ASA by post at Advertising Standards Authority, Mid City Place, 71 High Holborn, London, WC1V 6QT, or by telephoning 0207 492 2222. Further information about the ASA can be found at www.asa.org.uk.
Lawful use of the S4C website and prohibitions
- By accessing the S4C Website you agree that you will not use the S4C Website:
- for any unlawful purpose or in a way which might facilitate or encourage illegal activity;
- to communicate any of the following material:
- indecent, obscene, vulgar, offensive, or pornographic material;
- material that contains gratuitous violence, that promotes, encourages or facilitates violence or material that is threatening, abusive or harassing;
- material that promotes, encourages or facilitates terrorism or other activities that risk national security;
- material which incites hatred whether based on race, religion, gender, sexuality or otherwise, or promotes, encourages or facilitates anti-social behaviour;
- material which discriminates against any specific social group or otherwise exploits or puts at risk the welfare of children and/or other vulnerable people;
- material which is blasphemous, defamatory or seditious;
- chain letters, pyramid schemes or unsolicited advertising;
- any material which breaches another person's rights, such as (and without limitation) copyrights, moral rights, rights to privacy; and/or
- in such a way that would bring S4C into disrepute or cause S4C to incur liability to any third party.
- You agree that you will not disrupt or cause damage to the S4C Website, S4C's servers, systems or equipment or those of third parties or use the S4C Website for other harmful or otherwise objectionable activity and that you will not do anything which restricts another user's use or enjoyment of the S4C Website.
- You agree that you will not state, suggest or imply that you have any commercial relationship with S4C, that you are S4C's agent or that S4C has endorsed any contribution you make to the S4C Website.
- The S4C Website is free to all users within the United Kingdom. You are not permitted to charge any third party to use all or any part of the S4C Website or its content or display any advertisements around the S4C Website content without the prior written consent of S4C.
- You are not permitted to share or make S4C programmes available on unauthorised websites or software applications without S4C's prior written consent.
- You are not permitted to frame the S4C Website on other websites without S4C's prior written consent.
- S4C shall not have and hereby expressly disclaims so far as may be permitted by law all responsibility and liability whatsoever (including liability for any damages such as, without limitation, indirect or consequential damages or any damages whatsoever arising from use of or in connection with use of the S4C Website) for any error, inaccuracy, misrepresentation, defamation, omission, falsehood, obscenity, profanity or any other material contained within the S4C Website.
- Nothing in these terms excludes or limits either S4C's or your liability for death or personal injury caused by negligence or for fraud and neither are your statutory rights affected by the exclusion of liability contained in paragraph 34.
- S4C does not warrant that the whole or any part of the S4C Website will be uninterrupted or error free, that any defects will be corrected, or that the S4C Website or the server that makes it available are free of viruses, bugs or errors.
- S4C takes reasonable steps to ensure that content appearing on the S4C Website is virus free, however this cannot be guaranteed and S4C accepts no responsibility for damage caused by bugs or viruses. With this is mind, you are advised to take your own 'anti-virus' precautions.
- Your access to the S4C Website may depend on matters outside of S4C's control. You accept that S4C has no responsibility over certain matters which may affect the quality and availability of the S4C Website and its content, for example, matters such as broadband availability, connections and speed.
- You agree to compensate S4C on demand for any reasonable out of pocket losses or damages incurred by S4C as a result of your breach of any of these terms.
Governing Law and Regulation
- Content displaying the S4C watermark is provided by S4C and regulated by the S4C Authority of Parc Tŷ Glas, Llanishen, Cardiff CF14 5DU (email@example.com).
- Should any of these terms be determined illegal, invalid or unenforceable, such term shall to the extent required be severed from these terms and rendered ineffective, as far as possible, without modifying the remaining provisions of these terms.
- These terms shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of England & Wales.
- Should you have any questions, queries or complaints, you can contact us by calling the Viewer's Hotline on 0870 600 4141 (calls should cost no more that 6p per minute from a BT Land line. Costs may be higher from mobile phones or other service providers). Alternatively, you may contact us by post at: Viewer's Hotline, S4C Parc Tŷ Glas Llanisien, Caerdydd, CF14 5DU.