Press

Boost for Welsh producers with Kick Start programme

12/06/2014

- New initiative to support Welsh Producers internationally.

Rights TV, S4C Commercial, The Welsh Government and Creative Skillset Cymru are combining expertise to launch Kick Start – an initiative offering practical and financial support to Welsh independent production companies aiming to secure international contracts and source opportunities for factual programming.

The focus of the Kick Start programme is to provide practical assistance to Welsh production companies in order to maximise their opportunities at major international markets, such as MIPCOM, MIPTV and RealScreen.

The scheme, delivered and managed by Rights TV, includes financial investment from S4C Commercial, The Welsh Government and Creative Skillset Cymru’s Skills for the Digital Economy programme. The funds provided are intended to help production companies employ experienced development staff to drive the creation of a commercially valuable slate of international programming. In addition to monetary investment, successful applicants will be mentored throughout the process with legal advice from Rights TV and will be offered guidance from a US-based talent agent who will give confidential advice and guidance to the producers.

Sion Hughes, Senior Business Affairs Manager, Rights TV, says, “We are really excited about Kick Start and looking forward to starting a programme that we believe will act as an important step in significantly boosting Welsh television production for the future. In turn, we hope Kick Start will support factual producers who have a long term strategy and drive them in their ambitions to secure significant international growth.”

Elin Morris, Corporate & Commercial Director, S4C, said: “We are delighted to be a partner in this initiative, which we hope will assist Welsh production companies to win international business, as well as lead to new co-production opportunities for S4C.”

Edwina Hart, Minister for Economy, Science and Transport, The Welsh Government, said: “This programme will help Welsh production companies pursue co-production and commissioning opportunities and exploit new international markets. The creative industry sector is very important to the Welsh economy and through schemes like this we are helping to create further growth and jobs within the industry.”

Applications for Kick Start grants are now being accepted. There will be ten grants available in the first year of the scheme. The application process is competitive and assessed by a panel of representatives from the three financial partners. A maximum of £7,000 is allocated per project, with 75% of funding being contributed by S4C Commercial, The Welsh Government and Creative Skillset Cymru, and the remaining 25% is to be contributed by applicants.

Ends

More news

Press homepage