calendar Monday, 11 April 2022
Cheese and vegetable quiche
- 230g plain flour
- 115g salted butter
- 2-3 tbsp cold water
- 4 eggs
- 100ml double cream
- 200ml milk
- block of feta
- 50g cheddar cheese
- half a butternut squash, peeled and chopped into small cubes
- 100g spinach
- 1 large red onion
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- First make the pastry.
- Rub together the butter and flour into fine breadcrumbs.
- Add water to bring the dough together into a smooth ball. Cling film and rest for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 160 fan/ 3 gas
- Roll the pastry out on a floured surface to the thickness of £1 coin.
- You will need a loose bottom tin, diameter 25cm.
- Place on a baking tray. Place a piece of parchment paper on top of the pastry and cover with baking beans to keep pastry from rising.
- Cook for 25 minutes, then remove the baking beans and cook for a further 15 minutes.
- Egg wash the pastry and return for a further 5 minutes.
- To prepare the filling, place the peeled butternut squash and red onion wedges in a roasting tin with 1 tbsp of olive oil. Sprinkle with salt.
- Wilt the spinach in a saucepan for a few minutes. Drain and leave to one side.
- Once ready to bring the quiche together, place the butternut squash, red onion, spinach, feta and cheddar cheese at the base of the pastry.
- Whisk together the eggs, cream and milk. Season.
- Place the tray with the pastry in the oven, pour the liquid carefully on top.
- Cook for 40-45 minutes until golden.
- Leave to rest before serving with salad.
Recipe by Catrin Thomas, originally featured on Prynhawn Da.
How to cook