calendar Wednesday, 12 January 2022
Clementine and almond cake
- 4 clementines
- 4 eggs
- 165g light brown soft sugar
- zest of 2 lemons
- 165g ground almonds
- 2tsp baking powder
- caramel clementines
- 8 clementines slices
- 150g caster sugar
- Wash the clementines under a hot tap to get rid of the wax.
- Put in a pan and cover with cold water.
- Bring to the boil and then simmer for 40 minutes.
- The fruit should be soft.
- Scoop the clementines out and allow to cool.
- Cut in half and remove any pips.
- Pop the whole clementines in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Preheat the oven to 170c fan, gas 5. Grease 20cm round tin with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs and sugar and lemon zest until well combined.
- Then fold in the almonds, baking powder, and clementines purée.
- Place in a baking tin and cook for 40 minutes.
- Make sure the skewer comes out clean.
- To make the caramel clementines, put the sugar and 100ml of water in a pan.
- Heat gently to dissolve the sugar, then turn up until the water is dark caramel colour.
- Slowly add 150 ml of cold water to the sugar syrup.
- Turn with a wooden spoon to ensure the caramel and water is combined.
- Add the clementines and remove off the heat.
- Leave for at least 2 hours.
- Serve the cake with some clementines and cream.
Recipe by Catrin Thomas, originally featured on Prynhawn Da.
How to cook