calendar Monday, 04 April 2022
Veggie Moroccan tagine
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- 400g tin chickpeas (drained)
- 400g tinned tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot, peeled & cubed
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 celery sticks, cubed
- 4 dried apricots, cubed
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 40g couscous
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp flaked almonds, toasted
- small bunch fresh parsley, chopped
- small bunch fresh mint, chopped
- 1 tbsp 0% fat yogurt
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over a low-medium heat and add the sliced and chopped onions, peppers, carrots and celery.
- Cook, stirring occasionally until soft and sweet – roughly 10-12 minutes.
- After this time add the garlic, apricots and chickpeas and cook for a further 3-4 minutes.
- Next add the spices and cook for a couple more minutes before adding the tomatoes.
- Add in a good pinch of salt, stir and leave to simmer, stirring occasionally for 20 minutes.
- After the 20 minutes, cook the couscous according to the packet instructions (usually equal parts water to couscous), pop in a bowl with boiling water, stir and cover to absorb for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, toast some almonds and chop the fresh herbs ready to serve.
- Divide the couscous between 2 bowls, followed by half of the tagine.
- Drizzle over a little yogurt and finish with the chopped herbs and toasted almonds.
Recipe by Beca Lyne-Pirkis for FFIT Cymru.
For more from FFIT Cymru, head to ffit.cymru
Beca's Instagram: @becalynepirkis
FFIT Cymru's Instagram: @ffitcymru
How to cook